Thursday, July 22, 2010

Thing #22

Saw a story last night on 20/20 about Facebook. There are currently more than 500 million users are now on Facebook. I must admit that I am user number 4,112,342, just kidding. Eventhough I shouldn't be, I am amazed at that number. Social networking has boomed over the last few years and I really don't see an end in sight. I prefer Facebook over any other networks mainly due to security and the easy applications. While I am somewhat nervous about putting pictures on there it is such a great tool for grandparents, family, and friends to be able to share with at any time. While all this is very cool and easy, there are definitely dangers to the sites. Already stories of kidnappings and runaways with people that have been found on the sites. Kids must be monitored on the sites. I think there could be a place for the sites in education such as using it for discussion and colaboration but I think the sites are better suited for what they are, social networks.

1 comment: