Friday, July 16, 2010

Thing #7B

I don't know how many of yall have a person close to you that have Alzheimer's disease but my dad has the disease. He has gradually began to show signs of the disease in the last few years. I found this article on my reader that discusses new plans to slow Alzheimer's disease. If nobody close to you suffers from this brain disease, consider yourself lucky. I am deeply saddened to be around my dad, a feeling that guilts me to the bone. I know they will not be able to find solutions to help my dad, but maybe they will be able to save my kids from this guilty feeling.

1 comment:

  1. This is so relevant to me as my husband and I have walked the path of Alzheimer's with his dad. It is disheartening and a constant challenge for anyone close to the one who has it. We learned to take one day at a time and be very thankful for each "sign" of seeming hope...knowing to encourage his dad and caregiver (his mom), spend time with them, and be "alongside to support". When verbal responses are not positive, we learned to "know" that it was the disease responding and not our loved one's desired response. We were grieving for the loss of "his dad's thoughts and personality", but also, we knew to hold him close and tender his needs for his mom. We have not resented the time spent nor the love we gave for each of them. It is a heart-wrenching disease for all families who have a precious family member who has this.

    ReplyDelete